Project for the year - 3 stage rocket

Rocketry that will literally wet the appetite

Moderator: Moderators

kitestring
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Project for the year - 3 stage rocket

Postby kitestring » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:29 pm

Gday. This one project i have in mind for 2016.
If anyone has any idea on how i can improve, make work, but without 3 d printing etc. I only have a basic tools but have no objection to a lot of sanding. Am using Tomy timers to keep weight down. Will use MicroPeak altimeter to measure height if it ever gets off ground.
Cheers and Merry Christmas.
Jeremy
Attachments
rocket-stager.jpg

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Project for the year - 3 stage rocket

Postby SpaceManMat » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Which parts need to be manufactured?
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

kitestring
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby kitestring » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:06 pm

SpaceManMat wrote:Which parts need to be manufactured?

Just about the lot. The one way valve, the hold-downs, the centre pin section, etc. Thinking of using ply for some bits and epoxy. Is there a Lighweight very strong model ply you guys use for pyro rockets. and where can i buy please?
J

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:55 pm

You can get aircraft ply in diff thickness sheets.. can get balsa ply, can get 2mm ply and glass both sides with a layer or two and make your own composite board.. the aircraft and balsa ply are available at hobby shops and some timbre yards have it.. aircraft ply is expensive which is why I make composite ply with ply and FG.. I will be experimenting with making my own ply with the thicknesser and different timbre and different cores at the local wood work class to see what the best strength-weight so if you know someone with one you could try that?

kitestring
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby kitestring » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Lister wrote:You can get aircraft ply in diff thickness sheets.. can get balsa ply, can get 2mm ply and glass both sides with a layer or two and make your own composite board.. the aircraft and balsa ply are available at hobby shops and some timbre yards have it.. aircraft ply is expensive which is why I make composite ply with ply and FG.. I will be experimenting with making my own ply with the thicknesser and different timbre and different cores at the local wood work class to see what the best strength-weight so if you know someone with one you could try that?

Cool thanks. As i only need small bits will look at aircraft ply first as weight is an important factor. if too exy then i have some balsa and FG so will try as well.

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:27 pm

Looking good Jeremy! I would look at using the weakest spring possible in the non-return valve. If the spring is too strong then that will act like a pressure regulator. Especially if you are stacking a couple of these. How much of a pressure drop will depend on the strength of the spring. Is there a reason for the long launch tube in the stager? Is it for extra performance?
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:13 pm

air.command wrote:Looking good Jeremy!
+1
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 14,767 Ns (44% N)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

kitestring
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby kitestring » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:33 pm

air.command wrote:Looking good Jeremy! I would look at using the weakest spring possible in the non-return valve. If the spring is too strong then that will act like a pressure regulator. Especially if you are stacking a couple of these. How much of a pressure drop will depend on the strength of the spring. Is there a reason for the long launch tube in the stager? Is it for extra performance?

Weak springs it is! (possibly BIRO pen spring?) The tube length is just to avoid backflow of liquid in each section regardless of other issues.. Just needs to be above water line on each stage. Using similar system in Dual Boosters... Just an idea.. if you think not required will definitely improve performance through loss of volume on launch.

RE: regulator: Noticed that if i leave partially pressurised rocket on pad for 10 mins or so, the water runs back down hose (not good) which is why i make sure the compressor is higher than liquid in rocket. New habit is that if i have to wait to launch... i disconnect the hose lines.. Due to equalisation of pressure i believe

Return to “Water Rocketry”