Estes E Motor Reliability

Discussions of motors from single-use and RMS solid propellants to hybrid propellants

Moderator: Moderators

Aquaman33
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Estes E Motor Reliability

Postby Aquaman33 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:50 am

I have bought a kit for my next build which flies on an E9 or E12 motor.

After buying it I started reading about all the issues with Estes E motors blowing up.

It seems that most of the articles were written a few years ago.

So my questions are:

1. Have Estes improved the quality of these motors in recent years?
2. Is there an alternative motor I could buy?

I don’t really want to jump up to an E20 composite motor as it would send the rocket too high.

Thanks in advance.

Aquaman33
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Re: Estes E Motor Reliability

Postby Aquaman33 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:15 am

One additional comment.

My preference is for single use motors, but I’m happy to consider reloadable if that’s my only “safe” option.

Thanks.

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:27 am

I’ve seen two blow up personally in the last 3 months (one in WA one in QLD). In saying that that was out of 5 flights using the Estes E. So it’s definitely a gamble.

You could perhaps try a D21 with a 24-18mm adaptor if you want to stick with single use but avoid an E20.

Failing that it’d be safer to invest in an rms 24/40 or a CTI pro 24-2 case to open your options right up.
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L2)

QRS Committee Member

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:30 am

Based on what I have read and seen in the past couple of months my aversion to the E and F motors has been vindicated. As Digit said, try some of the reloadable composites.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Aquaman33
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Aquaman33 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks all for your wise responses. That all makes sense.

Looks like the smallest Cesaroni reloadable is an E22, which is bit big (and the rear closures aren't in stock in Aus).

Aerotech has an E11, which would be good (but I can't see the 24/40 cases in stock in Aus).

In terms of the cost my first 3 flights on an Aerotech reloadable will cost me $126 (including delivery) versus $48 for 3 Estes motors from my local hobby shop. But I guess the reloadable is a good investment if the Estes engines are likely to CATO.

I think I might put this project on hold for now.

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Looks like the smallest Cesaroni reloadable is an E22, which is bit big (and the rear closures aren't in stock in Aus).

Aerotech has an E11, which would be good (but I can't see the 24/40 cases in stock in Aus).

Aerotech do C and D motors in 18mm, and the 24mm does D, E, F I think. Reloadable hardware of course.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:55 pm

Stay away from Estes E motor like the plague. It isn’t necessarily an Estes quality issue, rather temperature cycling which comes from shipping on the ocean in hot/cold environments, poor storage at the importer through to the hobby store through to end users. The temperature cycling causes the grain to break away from the case causing an air pocket that goes BOOM! It is very much a gamble and I can’t even count on two hands and two feet the number of motors I have seen blow up. They are also very dangerous, often exceeding the safety code with debris.

So, my 2 cents is jump straight on board with the SCR E20 motors if you want SU. There are 2 x 24mm CTI closures in stock at the moment with more due in soon if you want to try those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Aquaman33
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Aquaman33 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:02 pm

Thanks all.

I was hoping to launch this rocket at the next NSW Whallan Reserve launch and an E20 will take it above the permitted ceiling.

But on reflection I think SCR E20 motors are the best solution for me, so I will have to save it for our club's HPR launches.

Return to “Propulsion”