Hybrid Rocket Engine Tips

Discussions of motors from single-use and RMS solid propellants to hybrid propellants

Moderator: Moderators

Tommo4523
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Hybrid Rocket Engine Tips

Postby Tommo4523 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Hi there,

I am currently in the process of designing and building a hybrid rocket test stand for my soon to be hybrid rocket engine to run simple tests like thrust, temp, mass flow rate, exhaust velocity and just overall performance. I will be using paraffin wax as my fuel (its safe to use) and either N2O or O2 as my oxidizer (which ever one is cheaper). If someone could refer me to a good Australian supplier of gases that are reliable that would be great and pressure regulators. I am thinking of just using an aluminium hull/shell as it is light and cheap and fairly sturdy and having a single stage and using a pilot light to ignite the paraffin. Also this is my first time building my own rocket rather than a kit so any general tips would be super helpful.

Regards Tom,

Tommo4523
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Re: Hybrid Rocket Engine Tips

Postby Tommo4523 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:07 pm

Sorry also could someone please help me in figuring out how to calculate the oxidizer to fuel ratio. I am not asking that you do it for me but provide me with an equation i can use to figure it out as a i cannot find anywhere on how to do it.

Thanks,

Voyager
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Voyager » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:39 pm

I use N2O bottles from Gas & Gear (a BOC dealer). They also supply regulators and various fittings necessary for hybrid GSE. I would refer you to a very good publication "The Science and Design of the Hybrid Rocket Engine" by Richard M Newlands (Aspirespace) for details such as O/F ratios and testing.
TRA 14574 L2 (CRG)
AMRS 199 L2 (NSWRA)

Tommo4523
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Tommo4523 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi,
Thankyou for that, when I go in the BOC website it says price not available for the N2O, roughly what do you pay for a C or D size tank.

Regards,

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lorstin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:08 pm

Hi, a D size bottle of NO2 is about $240 plus about $18 per month rent.
caveat emptor :? IAAH

Return to “Propulsion”