Liquid Propulsion Kits

Discussions of motors from single-use and RMS solid propellants to hybrid propellants

Moderator: Moderators

thumper
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Re: Liquid Propulsion Kits

Postby thumper » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:36 am

I don't know if this thread is still active, but I've recently been in contact with the manufacturer of the SS67B-3 engine, and it's based on the WWII German Taifun missle (an unguided rocket system) that, although never deployed operationally, was copied by the US as the Loki and the USSR as the R-103.

So it does work.

But 50% Hydrogen Peroxide isn't really something you want to dip your fingers into.

Also, in Canada at least - an 8kg unguided rocket capable of altitudes >5,000 feet AGL and travelling at speeds just under Mach 1 requires some special attention from Transport Canada.

Such things like:

1/ An Authorized launch site.
2/ NOTAM to close the airspace up to 12,500 feet AGL.
3/ Non-refundable fees associated with the launch event.

My initial plans were to build this into a scale Saturn V, but my calculations indicate it will need to be over 1.8m high, and nearly 8kg, with the SS67B-3 for the centre engine, and four solid fuel motors such as the Cesaroni Pro-38 solid rocket motors for additional boost.

Is something like this practical - or even legal in Australia?

BTW: Cost to get the engine into Australia is $1099.00 for the engine + $700.00 via UPS for shipping. (as of the date on this post).

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:23 am

Welcome Thumper. Not sure of the legalities of liquid fueled engines in Oz. As for the 1.8m Saturn V, sounds like it would fit well in the LOC 50th Anniversary kit, if they are still available. That kit can be configured for various five-motor clusters too.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

thumper
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby thumper » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks for the welcome OverTheTop!

my calculations indicate I'd need three (3) one meter diameter parachutes to bring it home, and /w a 6" diameter body tube for the first and second stages of the Saturn V, it would reach Mach 0.97 and slightly over 6,000 feet at apogee...although that may change slightly once I figure out what all the electronics are going to weigh.

Even if it turned out not to be legal to launch here in Australia, it will be a fun project and final 'shelf display' to acknowledge the Gemini and Apollo Astronaut friends that I had who are no longer with us.

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:13 pm

TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

thumper
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby thumper » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:09 am

Return to “Propulsion”