Estes ejection charge question?

Discussions of motors from single-use and RMS solid propellants to hybrid propellants

Moderator: Moderators

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Estes ejection charge question?

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:24 am

vance2loud wrote:trying to decelerate a 2kg booster from 1000km/h to 20km/h in around 2 seconds applies a force of 5 tons, if the tubular nylon survived that something else would still have to give, either the airframe or part of the recovery equipment. Unfortunately at that speed if the recovery harness doesn't zipper the airframe (and bleed of force doing so) then it will shred something else anyway and possibly lawn dart causing more damage as it impacts. Makes you wonder about either beefing up recovery gear or reducing weight to lower the amount of energy that may need to be dissipated. Personally I try to size my recovery equipment to handle at least 100 G's, what are other peoples guidelines when it comes to recovery equipment?
I can't remember if I read what actually caused the incorrect deployment on the Dutchman, was it ever explained?

vance2loud wrote:I think I found it, Motor cato http://www.ausrocketry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4161&start=105

Realistically a deployment going transonic or faster is going to cause major issues that you cannot build around. Cato cause the drouge to come out caused the nc to seperate and the main to come out. All chutes are destroyed, shock cords are snapped and zippered and the 3 sections of rocket tumble back on their own. The lower body had to be replaced as it was fried by the Cato, I kept about half of it which may turn out to be useful some day.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:38 am

Hope you got a refund for the motor

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:39 am

SpaceManMat wrote:Cato cause the drouge to come out caused the nc to seperate and the main to come out. All chutes are destroyed, shock cords are snapped and zippered and the 3 sections of rocket tumble back on their own. The lower body had to be replaced as it was fried by the Cato

...good day out by the sounds of it, AND, you got your rail buttons back 8)

I'd be happy with that :D
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:52 pm

Lamp wrote:.... just sat on the pad smoking for ages before it finally launched....

Reading that reminded me of this video. Not entirely the same, but similar.
7.5" upscale Der Red Max with CTI M850
[youtube]https://youtu.be/mQkX_-zzBEc[/youtube]
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:53 pm

Youtube links always seem to be a problem here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQkX_-zzBEc
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

Return to “Propulsion”