SCR vs Estes

Discussions of motors from single-use and RMS solid propellants to hybrid propellants

Moderator: Moderators

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

SCR vs Estes

Postby Lister » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:07 pm

A mate is trying to find the best motor for an A motor drag race and has been told to go with the SCR.. I have heard mixed reports on the actual thrust and performance of SCR motors compared to estes.. does anyone know if the SCR A8 is any more or less powerful in the real world? From what I can gather from the online data Estes A8 motors are slightly more powerful but I have little experience with A motors so thought I would ask.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Re: SCR vs Estes

Postby kopius » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:32 pm

SCR for the WIN!!

Irrelevant of anything else, if you doing a drag race and you want the motors to light, then SCR is a must. The igniters don't have all of the issues that the dodgy Estes ones do.

Apart from that, the performance is fairly similar on such a small motor, however SCR definitely from face value has more punch off the pad.

I may be somewhat biased, but SCR is definitely a better product all round and besides, it is Australian owned, so support local!
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:15 pm

SCR are better because they are Australian and you can buy them in bulk packs.

I've never actually flow SCR back to back against an Estes in the same rocket on the same day with an altimeter, so purely based on observation the SCR seems to have a marginally longer burn time, however I think that this is actually a slightly longer peak thrust, which gives overall better performance. Why not have a series of drag races?
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:04 pm

I fully agree with supporting the Australian option when we have it.
Just to clarify, you can also buy the Estes A8-3 in bulk (24) packs that come with Estes wadding for around $10 more.
The SCR have about 5% more total thrust and a different thrust curve so it possibly is rocket dependant on which one would win in a drag race.
For a fair comparison there would have to be multiple drag races to get a good sample size, I'm thinking at least 4 each of 3 different rockets launched 4 times each to use a 24 pack of each motor just to start testing.
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks guys. Sounds like SCR will be what he goes for then. I fully agree with the aussie made always being the preferred option, the guy im asking for is in the u.s and I'm not sure if they are readily available over there.. he is very keen on using SCR motors for his race and im all for providing encouragement any time we can get an aussie motor to out do a yank equivalent :)
Blake do you know if there is any retailer in the u.s that would sell SCR A8 motors?

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:26 pm

Lister wrote:aussie made

Yes, just don't read the motor label fine print lol :wink:
In all seriousness tho I had a great run with scr motors and igniters on the weekend, the igniters were so much more user friendly and reliable and they're in much better, resealable packaging. Regardless of where the motor itself is made I'd rather the money end up in an Australian's pocket.

I did find I had to tear off the paper label to get them into my motor mount, but that's no biggie. I simply wrote the type straight onto the cardboard just incase I didn't launch for some reason.
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L2)

QRS Committee Member

Return to “Propulsion”