Alternative Launch Methods

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Jordz
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Alternative Launch Methods

Postby Jordz » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Has anyone looked into more 'unique' launch towers? Ive had the idea to build a vacuum assisted launching tower for a little while and just wondering if it or any otger iterations been tried? There are plenty of feasible ways to extend apogee; mass drivers, rockoons, etc,. Anyone have any info regarding legality and if they count towards record altitude attempts?

Happy Heyoka
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: Alternative Launch Methods

Postby Happy Heyoka » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:03 pm

I like the concept of the Mythbusters style vacuum ping pong ball cannon.
Obviously this would have to be a "first stage" and then air start the "second stage"... problems that come to mind are making a rocket with required electronics etc small enough that you don't have to have a giant cannon to launch it (from memory theirs was about 10m long; which is doable... ping pong ball is what, 25mm dia?)

I could definitely go for a rail gun but I suspect that the general powers-that-be might be upset at you playing with one of them 8)

oh, and the requisite quote:
From The Devil's Dictionary (1881-1906)
CANNON, n. An instrument employed in the rectification of national boundaries.
Ha ha ha ha ha! You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Clause!
Chico Marx - A Night at the Opera (1935)

Jordz
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: Alternative Launch Methods

Postby Jordz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:44 am

Happy Heyoka wrote:I like the concept of the Mythbusters style vacuum ping pong ball cannon.
Obviously this would have to be a "first stage" and then air start the "second stage"... problems that come to mind are making a rocket with required electronics etc small enough that you don't have to have a giant cannon to launch it (from memory theirs was about 10m long; which is doable... ping pong ball is what, 25mm dia?)

24mm MD rocket with psuedo-fins? Im sure a vac-cannon could accelerate it to a high enough speed the fins would become effective. 10m is pretty big tho haha, and that's for a ball that weights like 5g.

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”