Multi segmented recovery

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Multi segmented recovery

Postby Digit » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:58 pm

I've been pondering and wanted to ask the builders of the larger, heavier rockets; with exception to the full scale V2; why are the halves/thirds of the rocket still tethered together for recovery instead of coming down separately on smaller 'chutes? Is it just common practice? Is it a rule? Is there an advantage :?:
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L1)

QRS Committee Member

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Multi segmented recovery

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:35 pm

I think it is easier in some cases to split the recovery. Not sure if it makes any difference to reliability, but it could.

I suspect is is not done so much due to having to find two (or more) parts to the rocket. That's what puts me off. I only need one tracker if they are strung together.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:40 am

Advantage: One section has no chance of getting a zipper.
Disadvantage: More pieces to recover. Need a chute for each section

Having the sections joined together is more typical, but some kits (eg Quest "Big Rage") are designed for separated recovery
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:00 pm

Weight per chute is a big consideration of large, heavy rockets.

Those big chutes are pretty expensive too, so utilising a big chute that you currently use to recovery all of your next largest rocket makes sense.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”