Shroud Line-less Parachute

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Shroud Line-less Parachute

Postby Digit » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:52 am

My young lad got some birthday presents today, among them was a modern day variation of the paratrooper we all would have played with at some stage in the past.

I thought I’d share a photo of it as the parachute design is unlike anything I’ve ever seen.

It doesn’t have any shroud lines, but instead a light mesh cut into a conical shape sewn around its circumference.

It inflates well and is very effective. I deliberately tried several ways to tangle it up and it unfurled every time.

I wonder if this technology could be up-scaled to prevent laundry balls getting tangled?
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L2)

QRS Committee Member

snrkl
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: Shroud Line-less Parachute

Postby snrkl » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:33 am

I’ve often thought the same thing - only issues I can think of are the tensile strength of the nylon mesh or the reduced effectiveness of the parachute?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ogivemeahome
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby ogivemeahome » Sat May 19, 2018 8:07 am

snrkl wrote: ... tensile strength of the nylon mesh ...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You could reinforce the mesh. Tangle free 'chuting! :)
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner. (English Proverb)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:09 pm

Neat.

The mesh would get some synergy in the strength of the individual threads taking and spreading the load. I guess if you were worried about a tear rending the chute shredded you could weave in some additional lines as a backup in the event of the main fabric ripping.

I suppose we should ask why they don't use these on large rockets. Mass penalty? Reliability? Modern, "unproven" technology?
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Wingnut
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wingnut » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:25 pm

It's not a strange concept. I thought that I'd seen this type of chute before, and I finally tracked it down to an old page on the Aerocon webstore:

This is some kind of military surplus "Pilot Chute" (i.e. a small auxiliary chute used to deploy the main parachute). While the mesh would certainly reduce the risk of tangled shroud lines, it would also deflect a significant amount of the airflow around the canopy, reducing drag efficiency. I guess everything is a trade-off.

Bye,
Mike

natty
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby natty » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:27 am

Where can I get one? I'll try it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
L3
TRA #14024
AMRS #139
MARS #26

Wingnut
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wingnut » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:17 pm

Here's a link to the Aerocon website:

Unfortunately, that particular chute is no longer listed by Aerocon. You might find something similar from some other military surplus supplies.

I thought I'd do a quick web search for "army surplus pilot chute" to satisfy my curiosity, and I found one on eBay:

That eBay listing doesn't state the size but it looks similar to the 60" chute that Aerocon used to have.

Bye,
Mike

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:58 pm

Life is to short to spend too much time thinking sometimes. I am sufficiently curios so I pushed the "Buy Now" button.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:38 pm

*curious*

I blame jetlag.
TRA #13430
L3

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”