GSE Update

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

strud
Engineer
Engineer

GSE Update

Postby strud » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:12 pm

I think my post on this was blown away in a recent forum recovery from backup etc....

Anyway I've done some work on the Hybrid GSE to support larger more complex hybrids (potentially liquids), primarily in the area of telemetry and a new pendant.
Telemetry is now using a more robust all binary packet format and new radio modem modules using RFM23BP radiomodems + PIC18F26K22 uC running my modem code.

Pendant front

Pendant internals

GSE box outside

GSE box internals

Vehicle/Motor interface hardware

Example test stand arrangement

And a bit of a summary video

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: GSE Update

Postby SpaceManMat » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:51 pm

Nice setup Strud.

Couple questions -
Is it possible to put the wrong plugs in? Like get booster confused with ignition?
Is the controller encrypted or some other safety mechanism to prevent accidental firing?
Could you please tell us more about your liquid fuel plans?
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

strud
Engineer
Engineer

Postby strud » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:34 am

Hi Matt,

Will check but I currently have two types of plugs and they can have keying inserts installed. Haven't done that yet but would be a good idea.
By the way, booster is not a vehicle booster rather a pressurant booster ie to pump from say 200 to 350 bar.

The telemetry is not encrypted but I feel the risk to me having an unwanted packet coming in is very very low.
Firstly the radio configuration is custom ie pre-amble length, air bit rate, modulation width etc are likely unique.
Secondly the transmit and receive headers (which act as filters) are also non-default so if someone else somehow had the same radio config and the same channel, they would also need to have the same 4 byte header to make it through the radio packet engine filter.....let alone getting a packet protocol that would match one of mine ie if the packet type does not match one of a std list I have defined, the packet is rejected also.

No specific liquid fuel plans at this stage, other than to include the valving and channels to support it. Once you go down the path of supporting pressurants etc, adding these bits for a liquid fuel is not such a big deal. The pressurant capability was added to support approaches such as chilled N2O + Dissolved O2 (Nytrox) in which case the O2 would be considered the pressurant (albeit only at 69bar).

I think a good improvement to this arrangement would be to move the Ox and Fuel valves + actuators to a separate plate that can be mounted right near the vehicle. That way I can eliminate the risk of an Ox &/or fuel leak into the GSE control box :-)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:13 pm

Fair enough. We’d all like to see it in action of course.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

strud
Engineer
Engineer

Postby strud » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:02 am

Hi Matt

Sure, will document and video next usage :-)

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”