Electronic flight cards

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Electronic flight cards

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu May 21, 2020 9:19 pm

There’s an interesting discussion going on at TRF with regards to going to electronic flight cards.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/e ... ds.159461/

Any thoughts on the merits of not using paper launch cards to avoid risk of spreading infections?
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Electronic flight cards

Postby crom » Wed May 27, 2020 12:17 am

From a QRS perspective....

Interesting read and some good ideas. We would be limited to WiFi and it may be best to piggyback off a solution from the US unless someone in QRS wants to take it on?

At the end of the day, there will always be some members who don't have the right device or the desire to gain the expertise to follow this process and we will be back with paper flight cards...

From a covid perspective, I'm sure that we could manage the risk of infection just as well through the use of hand sanitiser and gloves...
QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

http://qldrocketry.com/

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Sat May 30, 2020 11:38 am

I’m tempted to volunteer my services, however really flat out at the moment.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:44 pm

crom wrote:From a covid perspective, I'm sure that we could manage the risk of infection just as well through the use of hand sanitiser and gloves...

+1. Realistically if the LCO has a sheet of paper on a clipboard to record the necessary details when someone comes up to hand over their flight card they don't even need to touch the thing. Just record the relevant details to call out before flight and have the flyer slot the card into the box/holder/whatever your club uses. Steve Shannon posted this over there and I believe this would be a better solution than a bespoke IT solution that only a subset of flyers would use.

I find myself in the same camp as John Derimiggio.
I am geeky as the next guy, but I think a simple paper form is faster and more reliable than any electronic system that is available at the current time. What problem does an electronic flight card solve? Is this a solution (a neat one) looking for a problem?
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:16 am

Call me a Luddite if you want, but paper sounds like a great way to do this. Technology needs to be designed, implemented and maintained.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

str8up
Children, today we're going to learn about space
Children, today we're going to learn about space

Postby str8up » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:16 am

Looks to me to be a complicated solution looking for a problem to solve. Why mess with something that (a) is simple (b) doesn't need improving with (c) something that is far more complicated, and (d) the current system can be used by anyone while the "improvement" cannot.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Legendontour
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Legendontour » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:39 am

I work in several hospitals with paper notes every day and we haven’t had any transmission of infections using appropriate precautions despite looking after sick patients.

Given no one should be turning up to a launch sick, chances of transmitting a disease that doesn’t currently exist in the queensland community are extraordinarily low.

Solution looking for a problem in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”