Parachute swivels...

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

SammiMD
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Parachute swivels...

Postby SammiMD » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:55 pm

Has anyone ever used one, and if yes what’s your opinion on them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Parachute swivels...

Postby crom » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:37 am

Yes, they're good... Definitely use one on each chute...
QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

http://qldrocketry.com/

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:47 am

I use one on every chute and occasionally on the body end of the shock cord as well.
I tend to size the breaking strength at least 50 times the mass of the rocket.
Fishing swivels are usually sold at breaking strength whereas other swivels have a safety factor that needs to be taken into account.
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

SammiMD
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby SammiMD » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:01 am

vance2loud wrote:Fishing swivels are usually sold at breaking strength whereas other swivels have a safety factor that needs to be taken into account.

Which brings me to my next question - is it ok to use fishing swivels rather than “official” parachute swivels?

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:13 pm

SammiMD wrote:Which brings me to my next question - is it ok to use fishing swivels rather than “official” parachute swivels?

A lot of fishing swivels don’t actually work under load.
I use fishing swivels on some of my rockets.
Preferably look for ball bearing swivels, and I prefer to use ‘torpedo’ swivels.
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
- Thomas Alva Edison

SammiMD
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby SammiMD » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:25 am

vance2loud wrote:A lot of fishing swivels don’t actually work under load.
I use fishing swivels on some of my rockets.
Preferably look for ball bearing swivels, and I prefer to use ‘torpedo’ swivels.

I have size 2 ball bearing swivels from Jarvis Walker, but I don’t know the breaking strength of them. Was considering visiting BCF and getting some deep sea ball bearing swivels instead. Thoughts?

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:00 am

SammiMD wrote:
I have size 2 ball bearing swivels from Jarvis Walker, but I don’t know the breaking strength of them. Was considering visiting BCF and getting some deep sea ball bearing swivels instead. Thoughts?

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/rogue-black-ball-bearing-swivel-with-coastlock-snap-3-pack/M395978.html
These are the only ball bearing swivels I could see on the BCF website. And they don’t mention load or breaking strength.
If you do go with these, cut the snap off as a shroud line could catch and undo these. Ensure also that they can handle at least 100x the total rocket weight as fishing swivels tend to be rated optimistically.
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
- Thomas Alva Edison

SammiMD
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby SammiMD » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:59 am

vance2loud wrote:If you do go with these, cut the snap off as a shroud line could catch and undo these. Ensure also that they can handle at least 100x the total rocket weight as fishing swivels tend to be rated optimistically.

Thanks, I was looking at something similar to these. I’d been looking up the load strengths on the manufacturer’s websites. Some of them seemed to be optimistic at 100kg I’d been aiming for 50x my rocket weight, but I’ll go for 100x instead.

As I also don’t have access to quick links, I was considering locking carabiners for rigging as an alternative, something like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/taskmaster- ... k_p4220885. Was going for the same 50x rocket weight, but will up this to 100x instead as well.

Have to get this all sorted out before Sunday!

markf74
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby markf74 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:31 am

https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-4mm- ... k_p4220634

I got these at my local bunnings in Springfield . I think they came in a number of sizes
QRS # 271
TRA # ??
ARF #367 L2 (LOC 835 "Bodgy One" on DMS J425R-14 , Dual Deploy)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:15 am

Remember if you are dubious about load strengths you can always figure out a way to test them. I would not reuse one that you had tested anywhere near breaking in a rocket however.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

SammiMD
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby SammiMD » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:17 am

markf74 wrote:https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-4mm-stainless-steel-quick-link-2-pack_p4220634

I got these at my local bunnings in Springfield . I think they came in a number of sizes

That’s awesome! Thank you, you’re amazing!

SammiMD
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby SammiMD » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:18 am

OverTheTop wrote:Remember if you are dubious about load strengths you can always figure out a way to test them. I would not reuse one that you had tested anywhere near breaking in a rocket however.

I can think of lots of awesome, destructive ways to test them

SammiMD
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby SammiMD » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:42 pm

I know have 255lb swivels which I will cut the coast lock off, and 100kg zinc-plated quicklinks. I’ll put them all together tonight after I make some bigger quicklink holes in my nose cone

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:06 pm

Personal I don’t usually bother, just added weight, complexity and a failure point. Don’t usually see any evidence of the line being all wound up after a flight.

Mind you this may depend on how you do your line. I put chute at the top, nose in the middle, booster at the bottom, a lot of people put the chute in the middle and I often see these spinning around.

If you’re only going a few thousand feet it’s not going to really get any chance to cause an issue, higher then I’d consider it. I did this on the purple parrot flight where I had a single tiny chute and lots of altitude to potential get the cord wound up.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

SammiMD
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby SammiMD » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:38 pm

Looking at 2000’+a bit, chute will be in the middle as a single deploy with a piston.

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”