Dyneema cord

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Dyneema cord

Postby air.command » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:20 pm

Hey guys, I am looking to buy some shock cord and came across Dyneema. Is this something that is useful as a shock cord? It seems to have all the right qualities, but wanted to see if anyone has had experience with it.
https://ropegalore.com.au/dyneema-r-high-strength-rope/
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Dyneema cord

Postby OverTheTop » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:50 pm

This is the sort of stuff that is supplanting the regular steel-wire rope used in 4WD winches and such. Much less mass at the front of the vehicle and just as strong if you select the right thickness. It is only polyethylene so would need protection from heat and abrasion.

Great that it is available in the thinner sizes.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Dyneema cord

Postby Aquaman33 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:54 pm

I used Dyneema fishing line as a kid (for fishing, not rockets) and it was amazing stuff.

I bought a cheap spool of braided fishing line for my L2 parachute and I believe that is some variant of Dyneema.

Seems ideal for water rockets, but I think I will stick with kevlar for rockets with pyro ejection charges.

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”