best parachute brand

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

karlos
Smoke & Mirrors
Smoke & Mirrors

best parachute brand

Postby karlos » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi, I am flying minimum diameter rockets at the moment (3" & 4") and want to know people's opinion of the best parachutes out there. What 'chute will give the best performance? In big rockets it's not such a big deal, as it is easy to pack an over-size 'chute, but getting a decent sized 'chute into a minimum diameter body-tube can be a struggle. Clearly some parachutes of the same diameter produce more drag than the others... Any suggestions welcomed!

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Re: best parachute brand

Postby Lamp » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:41 am

As you know Karl, I like Skyangle chutes, but I also like the Rocketry Warehouse Starchute I have in the 4" Darkstar. I'm lazy and only having to deal with 3 or 4 shroud lines makes things easy. The only problem is they do not pack down as well conventional spherical type chutes. I'm planning to try the PML conical chutes Blake sells at some stage....but I haven't gotten around to that yet so I don't have an opinion. :wink:
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

karlos
Smoke & Mirrors
Smoke & Mirrors

Postby karlos » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Yeah Pete, I like less lines too, but I'll put up with more lines if it means a more compact chute, with better performance.

Stewart
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Stewart » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:13 pm

QRS#85
TRA#13049 L2

Wingnut
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wingnut » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi Karl,

I don't know if there is one "best brand" but below are some suggestions for consideration in addition to the earlier offerings. Stewart beat me to Fruity Chutes, but I will add some details for the purpose of comparison. For sure there are people on this forum with much better informed advice than I.

I own a range of PML chutes (came with kits) and one 72” Rocketman. I think the PML chutes are stiff and heavy. The fabric used for the Rocketman seems a bit "flimsy" but it has held up just fine so far and it came at a good price. I would like to get my hands some Fruity Chutes and TAC-1 parachutes because I've been told they are both top quality, but that comes at a price.

I hope that helps.

Mike

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:08 pm

I have now launched my Intimidator 4 eleven times and using the same TAC chute....and I can tell you that it is packed SO tight that in my maiden flight I thought...how is this ever going to come out but it works well. :D

Material is thin but very strong so it rolls into a small space well. 8)

I have no doubt that many of the others are also good....for big stuff I got Skyangle which is much thicker material as the room is no problem. :wink:
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”