Launch controller leads

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Launch controller leads

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:16 pm

is there a particular reason why it is a MUST to have the charge come out of a female connector?

There is no other reason other than it is easy to short between two male pins if they are feeding power out, especially with a metal shell connector.

The serial connector on a PC is a perfect example of an output having male pins, counter to the norm.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

PK

Postby PK » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:50 pm

A male plug can get crap in it and short. No power source connectors have metal with no insulation between them.
PK

I'm awesome!

Grejoh
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Grejoh » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:23 pm

In fact this is very common. For those that work in the aviation industry, all wiring looms that have breaks in them via connectors and bulkheads etc, will always find that going back towards the power source, you will always have the female connector. This is as has already been said, to prevent pins shorting together, and to prevent inadvertent contact with live pins. The female pins by design, are always recessed slightly, and this makes it hard to come in contact with (not impossible!). Sometimes may be the case when troubleshooting that a connector my be removed, but not all systems that use that connector may be powered down by necessity. Your normal 240v leads will always have the live end as a female! Makes sense! :D

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:07 pm

How about a 'bank' of grotty-old terminal blocks? No plugs, just screw the buggers in...?

...anyway, I'm just about sh@t outta ideas mate :roll:
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I will do some experimenting for the cause.

Jase, I think terminal blocks are little fiddly for this type of connection. I also think the screws would wear the block down being opened and closed many times along with deteriorating from the elements.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:43 am

How about a 'bank' of grotty-old terminal blocks? No plugs, just screw the buggers in...?

Nooooooooooooooooooo...... :)

How about 4mm banana plugs? Tough, reliable, rated up to 30A (but useable to much more!)
1698971-40.jpg
1698971-40.jpg (4.44 KiB) Viewed 1666 times

They are end stackable, great for reconfiguring the launcher for a drag race!!

You could even make the cables 4mm banana on each end, and use alligator clips that accept 4mm plugs.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Launch controller leads

Postby kopius » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:54 am

That is what we use now, however they require a significant amount of maintenance for the amount of launches we put through each lead.

Our system is designed to fire an independent channel or multiples so drag races are simple. The idea of this thread is to look at cheaper alternatives and to cut down on the maintenance
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Stewart
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Stewart » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:41 am

What about going to better quality gold plated bannana plugs that are used in high end audio work, they can be found on *bay for a reasonable price #290489498908
QRS#85
TRA#13049 L2

krusty
Engineer
Engineer

Postby krusty » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:01 am

kopius wrote:That is what we use now, however they require a significant amount of maintenance for the amount of launches we put through each lead.

Our system is designed to fire an independent channel or multiples so drag races are simple. The idea of this thread is to look at cheaper alternatives and to cut down on the maintenance

What is your main mode of failure?

Krusty

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:40 pm

krusty wrote:What is your main mode of failure?

Krusty

rough handling either from users or leads being pulled/burnt from launching. This is just general wear and tear when you punch out up to a 100 launching in a day.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

PK

Postby PK » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:24 pm

3pin 240V power hardware is cheap, rated for the current and reliable. Forget clips and just twist the wires onto the igniter leads and you'll get to >80% fist go launch rate.
PK

I'm awesome!

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”