Peregrine CO2 recovery system

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Re: Peregrine CO2 recovery system

Postby jase » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks Troy!

Been doing the same, standardised my av sled, shock cord and chutes. Same gear in my three 'frequent flyers', and various combinations of the same gear in my other birds.

Just on the CO2/charges/redundancy, do you use 4 bulbs 2 x 2 or just 2? I know you made your own system, just curious how it's configured.
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

rocket_troy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby rocket_troy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:23 pm

jase wrote:Just on the CO2/charges/redundancy, do you use 4 bulbs 2 x 2 or just 2? I know you made your own system, just curious how it's configured.

I don't have any "bulbs" installed into the rocket. I use a 16g bulb to fill my pyroless device but that's part of the filling jig that's separate from the rocket. Because my device is 100% reusable, I don't need redundancy (famous last words) and I haven't used any redundancy for 3 years now. That's the primary advantage with 100% reusability - you can test it hundreds of times on the ground to build up a high confidence level of it working (like a motor car). Of course, that's with some caveats eg. that there's plenty of margin with all the critical aspects or processes involved with a successful operation like plenty of actuation power margin (my device will reliably work on 1 single AAA battery) and plenty of gas energy margin (that's why I designed the device for an extremely high gas flow rate).
This particular device you're looking at looks good to me. If the gas release rate is acceptably high for reliable deployment in your rocket(s), then I might [insert caveats] feel comfortable enough to utilise 1 device with 2 Ematches as it's the Ematches (on 1st glance at least) that will be the weak link (expendable components and subject to damage with clumsy installation).
The virtues you raised with CO2 deployment are so true. You'll love not having to not deal with all of the thermal protection BS and as I've said here before, it makes a significant difference to the reliability of 1 end dual deployment systems, especially those that don't employ any gas charge for the main chute deployment.

TP
ERG #02

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:45 pm

All makes sense - thanks Troy :)

Was a whisker away from ordering the kit then noticed they are proposing to make larger variants....

Interesting that the kit comes with 12g and 8g - I suppose you'd use one for drogue and one for main, in <4" airframes.
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”