Set up Raven for Two Stage Rocket

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Ironside
Is there a manual for that

Set up Raven for Two Stage Rocket

Postby Ironside » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Hello to all of you altimeter experts.

I seek your advice on setting up my Raven altimeter for two stage Quantum Leap rocket.

I have had a few spectacular failures with launching it and want to reduce the risk of another.

I have a Raven in the booster to handle the second stage ignition and a Raven/stratologger (back up) in the sustainer for recovery deployment.

I think that I have finally worked out how to get the booster Raven to air-start the sustainer motor. My problem is with the sustainer (maybe the Stratologger). At the last launch, the sustainer motor air-started as planned. But as the motor ignited, both the drogue and the main parachute charges ignited. I had the Sustainer sky writing with two deployed parachutes and the motor blasting it around the sky.

The altimeters were both set for drogue charges at apogee and the main charges at 700ft. Nothing else was programmed. To set off the charges, I only utilise the one black powder ejection charge for both the drogue and main but with two e-matches (one from the Raven and one from the Stratalogger), I can't determine which caused the premature ejection.

Is there something additional I should set for the Sustainer Raven? Looking at the 'Configure' screen of the Featherweight Interface Program I was thinking of doing the following:

1. Setting the 'Apogee Pyro Channel' to 'Custom'
2. Setting the 'Main Pyro Channel' to 'Custom'
3. Checking the tick boxes in the 'Apogee' column for 'Pressure Increasing' and 'Velocity < Vel 1' (where Vel 1 is set at 400 ft/sec) and setting the 'After burnout of motor number 2'
4. Checking the tick boxes in the 'Main' column for 'Height above pad < AGL1' (where AGL 1 is set at 700ft), 'Pressure increasing', 'Velocity < Vel 1' (where Vel 1 is set at 400 ft/sec) and setting the 'After burnout of motor number 2'

The 'Lift off detected' boxes for 'Apogee' and 'Main' seem to be automatically checked.

Or maybe the problem is with the Stratologger. I have a Stratologger SL100. Is there anything I should do with it? (maybe not use it at all as a backup).

Frustratingly appealing for advice!
AMRS Level 3
QRS #65|AMRS #25

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Re: Set up Raven for Two Stage Rocket

Postby Sumo310 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Hi Jeff,

Have you downloaded the Raven data to see when its charges fired? How have you got your wiring set out? Any chance you could have miswired an ematch?

Your logic seems OK to me, but ditch the velocity event. if the drogue fails to deploy and the rocket is coming in hot, this logic could prevent the main from firing.

If you haven't done so already, use the Raven software to do your testing with ematches connected, and check the sequencing of events.

Are you using the 3rd or 4th channel for airstarts as they have a higher current capability?

Cheers,
Simon
L3

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:29 pm

I'm no expert on the raven but as I read it the option 'After burnout of motor number 2' would prevent deployment if your sustainer did not light. I think this option should always be set to 1 (or 0) unless you are using that channel to do an air start (I suspect this actually the purpose of this option). Note that there is a launch inhibit feature which essentially means that for deployment at least, the value 1 or 0 will behave the same (default is 1 so I'd go with that).
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Ironside

Postby Ironside » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:22 pm

Thanks, fellas

I'll ditch the velocity event. As Blake says, I may be trying to complicate a simple set-up
AMRS Level 3
QRS #65|AMRS #25

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”