Launch rod - how long?

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Launch rod - how long?

Postby lorstin » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:42 pm

I'm planning on using a piece of 3/16" stainless rod to launch my rocket which is powered by a G64. The rod is about 2 metres long and I don't really want to cut it if I don't have to. On the other hand if it's length will interfere in any way I don't mind shortening it. So the burning question is - ideally how long should it be?
caveat emptor :?

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Re: Launch rod - how long?

Postby october sky » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:20 pm

At that length you will get "rod whip" for sure, especially using G64 which has quite a bit of power.

I would cut it at 1.2 meters and there is much less of the whip happening. I have had that experience in the past few times and your rocket takes off sometimes in not so ideal angle.. :roll:
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:28 am

I agree. 2m of 3/16" rod seems unnecessarily long.
You can run a sim in OpenRocket and export the data for altitude and velocity to determine the length required for a particular rocket and motor
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lorstin » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:14 am

Thanks guys, wobbly/whippy was what I was thinking, excessive drag too I would imagine. I'll checkout Open Rocket - I hadn't thought of that. :D
caveat emptor :?

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:08 pm

If you want a good way to store the rod I use a length of 25mm electrical conduit. One end is plugged and the other is fitted with a closure of some sort. I use the top of a softdrink bottle. I cut off the top of the bottle to where it fitted nicely on the conduit and then held it in place with some heatshrink with internal glue. The screw cap then just screws on and off as needed.

This makes a great way to protect the rod during transport. I don't want to risk any kinks.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”