How to fold a parachute

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

How to fold a parachute

Postby Kryten » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:55 pm

This is going to sound silly, but what's the best way to fold a parachute?
I had a problem recently with one of larger chutes, I think because I wrapped the shroud lines and all the shock cord around it.
Another time the shock cord got tangled in the shroud lines
So, can we get right back to basics and get the "best" way to fold and load a chute?
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

rbsleepr
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby rbsleepr » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:17 pm

Have a look at the PML site
https://blastzone.com/pml/
Public Missiles, Ltd. Online Webstore
follow the links in the "Recovery" section to see how they recommend packing chutes -- I've had no problems using their technique
Tim
TRA #11543 L1

Guppzor
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Guppzor » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:39 pm

Not sure if this is the "best" way, or if in fact there *is* a best way. Some people have success with the scrunch, roll, and stuff approach, others just cram it in there. Here is how I do it:

Step 1:
Lay the 'chute out like so

Step 2:
Bring the top half down over the bottom half
Image Image

Step 3:
Fold inwards so that what was the top edges of the fold meet in the middle
Image Image

Step 4:
Fold in half to make a wedge, and lay shroud lines on the 'chute so that about an inch is protruding from the bottom
Image Image

Step 5:
Fold in the side that has the double fold of fabric at the edge on third of the way, tucking in the shroud lines
Image Image

Step 6:
Fold the other edge in
Image Image

Step 7:
Zig-zag fold the 'chute like so. This picture has been take with the 'chute on its side to show the fold
Image Image

Step 8:
Roll the chute over the folds, and poke in to the end of the body tube. Note that the shock cord has already been placed inside the body, with only enough hanging out to allow easy attachment of everything.

That's it. So far I have had no problems, especially when using my homemade nylon 'chutes :D

Oh, hex 'chutes are folded similar, but start differently:

Step 2:

Step 3:
SKIP

Step 4:

Hope that helps!

Edit: In case you were wondering, the 'chutes have fishing snap swivels attached to the end of the shroud lines to make things a bit (actually a lot) easier...

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:53 am

Thanks for the feedback
I guess I'v been lucky previously. I definitely haven't been folding like that, but I couldn't find any information about it. I would have thought the EMRR website would have had something.
I at least knew to use swivels
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

astroboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby astroboy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 pm

Nice one logan.

If you scroll down the page real quick it looks like an animation! :D
Satans stooge.

memberr
Engineer
Engineer

Postby memberr » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:27 pm

astroboy wrote:Nice one logan.

If you scroll down the page real quick it looks like an animation! :D

Not for me....i gots 1280 x 1024 screen resolution so i see 2 columns of photos :)

Anyway, nice work Logan. A picture says a thousand words :)

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:54 pm

Yes, definitely nice one! I have been wondering about that myself. I normally just roll it all up, but have had a few tangles on occasion. I will try the described technique.
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

Steve
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Steve » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:53 pm

Guppzor, (Logan is it?)

Thankyou for taking the time to post the photos. Very helpful and informative! Much appreciated.

Steve.

Guppzor
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Guppzor » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:49 pm

That's me Steve :D I answer to most names and phrases though... :P

No problems. Like I said, I don't know if it is the best method, but it is the first "proper" method I was shown, and so far I have had no problems with deployment. Using nylon 'chutes helps a lot as well.

Would be interesting to see other peoples techniques as well...

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:01 pm

Logan, very nicely done. Thank you!
I'll certainly be trying yours and the PML method.

Guppzor
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Guppzor » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:06 pm

Because I can:

:P

Steve
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Steve » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:36 am

Just too good Guppzor!

The slide show without any controls by itself could perhaps be confusing (too fast) but combined the pictures above it really is just perfect.

I don't know if it is easy or even possible but this thread is so good it should probably be moved over to the FAQ section.

Cheers Steve.

Guppzor
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Guppzor » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:58 am

HTML code is off for this forum, and I don't think PHPBB has tags to embed Flash animations without a mod to it :( I could have done a controllable slideshow then :)

Edit: I suppose I could link if to an off site page for the Flash anim, but that requires me to think too much :P Might see what I can do tonight.

Double Edit: Duh, Photobucket has a slideshow feature :roll: :oops: Gimme a sec to work it out.

Mmmmmmonster Edit edit edit edit:

Clicking on the anim will take you to the slideshow where you can step forward, back, and pause.

P.S. Yes, I know I forgot a few "edit" levels, I was going for dramatic effect :P

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Logan, HOW GOOD IS THAT. 8)

And it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Home made nylon chutes, great stuff. So, all you fellows, get your "Singer's" out. :lol: Or, ask your wife , nicely.
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:48 pm

That's GREAT :!:
And now I'm so glad I asked :D

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”