Nuke Chutes

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Nuke Chutes

Postby Digit » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:42 am

OverTheTop wrote:Have you thought of using a piece of nichrome wire connected to a power supply to make a hotwire cutter, like what is used for cutting styrofoam etc? Holding the wire taught would be a great way to get a dead-straight edge I think.

I actually saw this a few weeks ago watching youtube videos virully after a search for rocket motors eventually lead me to this pretty cool channel (he got a subscribe from me lol).

Not sure it it might suit your application Lister, but I'm planning on making one for other crafty projects.
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L2)

QRS Committee Member

Happy Heyoka
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Happy Heyoka » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:00 pm

Trick with the nylon cloth is that it isn't exactly stiff - sewing it requires three limbs (you use two hands to arrange the cloth and manage the tension while your foot drives the machine)... if you're not concentrating it's very easy to bunch up the cloth.

I suspect the trick with using a hot wire cutter would be similar - to maintain tension on the cloth while cutting it - with the metal template you get that for free.
Lister's point about the hot edges re-bonding is well taken.

I have seen commercial bag sealing and plastic cutting machines that are similar in appearance to a paper guillotine but with a hot blade... I have no idea where you'd get one or how much (I expect they're pretty expensive unless you score one in a clearing auction or something).
Ha ha ha ha ha! You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Clause!
Chico Marx - A Night at the Opera (1935)

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:24 pm

Your spot on, its one one of the things you need 3 sets of hands for.. I have found if you weigh the template or clamp it down you can free up one hand that would normally hold the template and pull away the nylon so you can just keep the tension on the nylon as your cutting with the other hand. It takes a little practice but defiantly worth it.. if only I had a cnc lathe to cut out the metal templates :)

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:59 pm

This is the Droid you are looking for http://brother.com.au/products/scanncut/cm110-detail and the 3rd hand that you need http://www.sewline.com.au/product/glue-pen/
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:12 pm

Both of those look very cool. Dont know if the scan n cut thing would be big enough for some of the goresbut I will have a look at it when im in spotlight.. if only I had a laser cuter :D the water soluble glue idea could be handy.

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:17 pm

I had a look at one a couple of weeks ago, I dont think there's any way to direct connect to a PC.
Must be scanned first and then cut, tho I did later read that you can upload an SVG file to their website and it will generate a proprietary file that you then need to put on a USB stick to plug into the cutter. Seemed kinda limited for the high asking price. I also read about cutting accuracy issues.

Edit: Found one http://svgcuts.com/blog/brother-scanncut-review/
The Cameo Silhouette seems to get mentioned a lot and is about half the price, tho I haven't looked into it.
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”