Military Surplus Parachutes

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Wingnut
Engineer
Engineer

Military Surplus Parachutes

Postby Wingnut » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:26 am

The Army Navy Sales military surplus store is selling a 64ft diameter (19.5 metre) Green Cargo Parachute.

100_ft_cargo_parachute_1_1.jpg
    100_ft_cargo_parachute_1_1.jpg (22.51 KiB) Viewed 1345 times

Cost is USD$449.99. The product number "SKU 64FTP". Here is a link:

This might be worth considering if you're planning any really big projects. I think the chute weighs around 57Kg. Shipping costs charged by Army Navy Sales are pretty reasonable, but I'm sure that shipping for something this big would really hurt the wallet.

Bye,
Mike

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Military Surplus Parachutes

Postby vance2loud » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 pm

http://aeroconsystems.com/cart/parachutes/
Is another source of larger parachutes.
Some of the smaller ones are quite heavy but they are reasonably good to deal with.
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

Oldboy
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Oldboy » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Hey "WINGNUT",
Any ideas what size tube that "chute" would pack into ?
54mm looks like it could be a squeeze . :lol:
WARS 005 AMRS 98
"I GOT IT"

Wingnut
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wingnut » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi Oldboy,

A 54mm airframe would be quite the challenge. This chute appears to have a pack-down volume of about 1.78 cubic metres. So, the chute compartment of your 54mm airframe would need to be 7.8 metres long. Add to that a nice, long, fast burning 54mm motor that can accelerate 57Kg of chute, plus rocket, off the pad. Unfortunately, the minimum payload weight for this chute is 227Kg. While it was lots of fun to contemplate, it all looks a little impractical.

. . . On the other hand, an 11.5" airframe would require a chute compartment of around 670 centimetres. I'm sure that a large 11.5" diameter fibreglass rocket could fall within this chute's payload weight range of 227Kg-998Kg.

I guess that this size chute has it's amateur rocket applications. Unfortunately, I don't currently have the budget or time to support that kind of project. But I can always dream.

Bye,
Mike

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”