Launch Power from Lithium Ion Jumpstarter

Discussion on ground control/GSE and recovery equipment. This includes launch pads, triggers, chutes, streamers etc. Includes other items such as simulation and other computer software, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

1stcrack
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Launch Power from Lithium Ion Jumpstarter

Postby 1stcrack » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:53 pm

Greetings,
A few years ago I realised that using an automotive jumpstarter would be easier than lugging batteries about and would make my launching easier and neater so I bought a $50 special from Supercheap.
Long periods of leaving it in the garage uncharged has lead to it not charging any more, so I thought I'd upgrade and replace.
The smaller/lighter lithium ion units look attractive and now are affordable.
My questions are:
Given that you are essentially creating a short-circuit each time you launch, how is this likely to affect a LION power pack?
Has anyone here used one of the LION starters to launch?
If so, you should know that Jaycar are running out an 800A 12/24 LION starter with USB charging output and light reduced from $279 to $149 and it only weights 1.6 KG.
I already went and grabbed one which I'll use for other stuff but mainly bought it to see if it would launch my rockets.

P.S. This is not an ad, I just thought it was a good deal.

Tim

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Launch Power from Lithium Ion Jumpstarter

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:35 pm

I think I remember a car cranking is around 200A or something. I remember my diesel Nissan Patrol had an extra 90A just for the glowplugs.

If it can crank a car, a temporary low-resistance from an igniter won't even get it working up a sweat. The overall amount of energy delivered to the eMatch is insignificant to that delivered while cranking also.

My only concern would be making sure it didn't set the car on fire due to some other sort of fault.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

1stcrack
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Re: Launch Power from Lithium Ion Jumpstarter

Postby 1stcrack » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:12 am

Thanks,
I wasn't too worried about the ability of it to light the igniter, just whether being LION, it would survive being dead-shorted for a short moment each time I launch.
Tim

Return to “Support & Recovery & Misc.”