May 11th - Launch

QRS is Australia's largest rocketry club with multiple sites south of Brisbane and in the Darling Downs

Moderator: Moderators

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Postby water rocketry man » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:38 am

yeay well i was trying to find the stuff that ari had in a bag and he said he got it from a pool store, and still haven fould it Pink bats was the only stuff i founld was fire retardant well looks like i was have to find the wadding and the rocket too :wink:

Guppzor
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Guppzor » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:40 am

If you are after some dog barf (treated chopped paper based insulation, not actual dog vomit :P), I have more than enough to last me a lifetime. It's the same type of stuff Ari has, and you are welcome to grab a bag of it next launch if you want.

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Postby water rocketry man » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:44 am

Thank you i will take that offer but were do you get this dog barf from but i hope i dont get embrassed by saying oh do you guys have any dog barf for me :lol:

Guppzor
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Guppzor » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:19 am

Most places that sell insulation for houses will have it, because it *is* insulation for houses :P It will come in a bale, which is very well compressed, and will have enough in it to last a veeeeery long time.

Just in case anyone doesn't know what I'm on about, this is dog barf:
(Clicky for bigger)

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Postby water rocketry man » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:36 am

But instead they sell pink bats

Guppzor
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Guppzor » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:03 am

Have a look in the Yellow Pages under Insulation. See if there are any handyman type stores in your area that are listed as selling cellulose fibre insulation. If not, you could always try a place that does insulation installation and see if they will sell you a bale of it.

**BUT**
Rather than buying a full bale and having more wadding than you will ever need, grab a pack of Estes wadding, or grab some fire retardant treated (it should say on the packet) party streamers from the local store as Kryten suggested for the time being, and I'll bring a bag of stuff for you next launch.

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:32 pm

Asher, don't worry about getting this stuff, Guppzor or myself can give you some. I must still have 8 KG's of the stuff left from a 10 KG bale I bought.
I got it directly from the manufacturer, Cool or Cosy at Yatala. :)

I must remember that I have promised 2 other people bags of it. Estes wadding is just SOOOOO ovepriced, it's a joke.
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Postby water rocketry man » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:36 pm

I know :evil:

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Postby water rocketry man » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:17 pm

The pink bats preformed really well the stuff did not come out of tube whet it ejected i founld out that the material has a tendancy to really stay :) in the tube i literally had to get a stick and move it around :lol: its good cause then it dosent litter the park with black and pink debrie.

i would recommend it it dose really do its job at protecting your chute but you can easly see the result of a high temp reaching the pink bats , results black one one side pink on the other. you dont have too really put much off the stuff in soo it wont weigh the rocket to much more.

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Postby water rocketry man » Sat May 10, 2008 7:23 am

you guys i just want to know one thing........WHO IS LAUNCHING WHAT ROCKET ON WHAT MOTOR :twisted: :D

Guppzor
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Guppzor » Sat May 10, 2008 10:08 am

* Mustang - 24mm - F12-5J, F24-7W .:. 29mm - F22-7J, F40-10W, G64-10W
* ISIS (unpainted, but meh) - 29mm - TBD

Edit: Asher: Do you still want me to bring you a bag of dog barf tomorrow?

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Postby water rocketry man » Sat May 10, 2008 11:07 am

yes please logan , also dose anyone mind if i set my launch pad and use the 12 volt battery :) cause my launch lugs only fit 4mm launch rails.

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat May 10, 2008 8:19 pm

I got 3 bags of the stuff also ready to go. There were couple others who wanted some too so no worries. :)

There will be only few people there tom. as it is mothers day. We should get few good launches done any way. 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Guppzor
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Guppzor » Sat May 10, 2008 9:31 pm

See you guys in the morning. I might give all of you a wake up call when I get up so nobody sleeps in and misses the fun :twisted:

Joking of course...

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sun May 11, 2008 4:00 pm

What a perfect day to launch rockets. :)

Clear sky, +26 and calm, WOW. Last two weeks have been like that and it still lasted for us today.

There were app. 9 of us only launching as it is mothers day and about 20 family members and some visitors too. Special mention must go to Matthew Small who paid us a visit, was good to meet you mate !!

Around 25 launches took place. Special mentiom must go to Asher for having 2 great launches. His 2 stager went brilliantly. Congrats mate. :)

It was good to meet Jonathan ( John) who will join our ranks. We have been chatting on the net and he had built some really cool rockets which flew brilliantly.

Mike's 5 cluster Stovi went like clappers, all motors firing. Logan & Monigue, George, Blake, Phil, Jordan etc. all had good launches. I had
another CATO on G38-7W, same motor from same patch that blew my AMRAAM 2 apart. :(

Thanks to all as it was ano

Thanks to all as it was another great launch day. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “Queensland Rocketry Society”