New girl on the block needs help

Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Re: New girl on the block needs help

Postby drew » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:34 pm

Lister wrote:Our ceiling is 15,000ft and if requested in advance can goto 25,000 ft.. I may be wrong on those altitudes but its definitely above 400ft.

I thought y'all had a ceiling of 35k ft Lister? The Tripoli Australia web site states the following...

We operates Australia's only permanent HPR Rocket Launching Area supporting flights to 35,000 feet.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:02 pm

We pulled our altitude to 25k' max as the cylinder that was required for 35k' was a bit onerous on other airspace users in the area, and a bit of a dog to operate with those interactions. Back to our much simpler waiver, for now.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:49 pm

OverTheTop wrote:We pulled our altitude to 25k' max as the cylinder that was required for 35k' was a bit onerous on other airspace users in the area, and a bit of a dog to operate with those interactions. Back to our much simpler waiver, for now.

I think we only had the 35k ceiling for one weekend and it was such a pain with having to rack up, call casa, wait for airspace to be clear, launch and repeat.. so after that we dropped it back to 25k and everything is smooth sailing now :)

I'll see if I can get someone to update the Tripolli Australia website, thanks for pointing that out Drew.

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:14 am

No worries. It sucks that y'all don't have 35k feet anymore. I obviously don't know the difficulties with managing a waiver above 25k feet but it sounds like a bit of a hassle.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:20 pm

Because we have skydivers operating near by (about 20kms away) it caused problems for us and them, when we pushed the ceiling to 35K it pushed out the cylinder another 5 nautical miles which crossed over the airspace the sky divers operate in.. would have been easier for us if the skydivers just dropped their ceiling :P

But 25K is still pretty awesome 8)

Rocket Girl 66
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Rocket Girl 66 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Thanks for changing my post guys, I'm trying to look for rocket kits not talk about who has the highest ceilings, if you want to talk about other things, it would be appreciated if you start your own subject.
Have a little respect please.

Looking for someone to help me with choosing a rocket kit in the mid power range, please.
Does anyone have any info on the Launch Pad kits, are these good kits.

Digit
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Digit » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:37 am

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't comment about the launch pad kits as I've not personally built one, but you may have trouble finding them for sale here causing you to pay extra to import one.

If you are looking for a kit that won't simply 'slap together' but will let you satisfy your crafty skills, and is still small enough to launch without being in a club you might like to try something like this?

http://ausrocketry.com.au/kits/low-powe ... ter-5.html

It's a non conventional design for a rocket and will require you to fabricate some of the components yourself from supplied material, and at nearly 2.5 feet long it's a decent size build you'll end up with that looks pretty cool.

You could then simply buy a launch pad for your rocket (and your future rockets :) ) like this one.

http://ausrocketry.com.au/hardware/laun ... oller.html

Cheers,
Lachlan.
QRS:169
AMRS:108 (L2)

QRS Committee Member

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:14 am

Rocket Girl 66 wrote:Thanks for changing my post guys, I'm trying to look for rocket kits not talk about who has the highest ceilings, if you want to talk about other things, it would be appreciated if you start your own subject.
Have a little respect please.

Looking for someone to help me with choosing a rocket kit in the mid power range, please.
Does anyone have any info on the Launch Pad kits, are these good kits.

Hi Sari. Did you read the comments on the first page of your thread? Two forum members with just under 6,000 combined posts to their names have already addressed your questions regarding Launch Pad kits. I'll save you the trouble of clicking back and just post it here. I've even gone to the trouble of highlighting in bold the relevant parts of the responses to your question.

october sky wrote:
Kryten wrote:My $0.02:
From what I've heard about the Launch Pad rockets, I wouldn't recommend one of these as your first kit.
They look fantastic, but they're recommended for those with a lot of experience in rocket-building.
My advice, even to those with model-making experience, would be to start with something fairly small and simple, and work up from there.

TOTALLY agree with Kryten on this ! Sari, seems like you are really keen on getting started but honest, try to start with a more simple kit and then build from there ! In rocketry getting experience is the key for building and successful launching of your bigger rockets ! 8)

Obviously I don't have the post count of Kryten or October Sky but I'll also chime in and say that if you're after a first rocket you most likely want to stay well away of Launch Pad kits in general until you have some rocket building experience. I'd personally recommend a simple 3 fin rocket for your first kit. And do you have a launch pad or controller? If not you'll probably want to invest in that infrastructure yourself or join a club. Otherwise you won't be able to actually fly the rocket you buy.

If you buy the 56er Model Rocket Set as a couple others have mentioned you'll have EVERYTHING required to fly that rocket 3 times.

http://ausrocketry.com.au/56er-model-rocket-set.html

That set comes with the following items.

Includes:
- 56er rocket kit
- Low power launch controller and launch pad
- 3 pack of B6-4 rocket motors
- Recovery wadding

Good luck!
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:03 pm

Hi Sari,
The advice given above to start with something simpler is really worth listening to.

In-case you missed it, the LaunchPAD kits you are looking at are graded with the following skill levels for building:
Launch Pad Flying Model Rocket Kits #K060 Nike Ajax - Skill Level 4
Launch Pad Flying Model Rocket Kits #K012 Harpoon AGM-84A - Skill Level 3

I really like this one!!!
Launch Pad Flying Model Rocket Kits K014 Rapier SAM :P
- Skill Level 4
Launch Pad Flying Model Rocket Kit K041 Exocet AM.39 - Skill Level 2
Which are:
Model Rocket Kits are rated by Skill Level
1 Beginner
2 Intermediate
3 Advanced
4 Expert
5 Master
If you are just starting in the hobby start at the beginner level and move up from there at your own pace.

Estes Pro Series Argent 9703 or Partizon9702/
With regard to the Estes Pro Series kits, I have a stack of these and yes these are a bit easier than the LaunchPAD kits, but I'd still rate them a Level 2 to 3 depending on the kit.

That's not to say that you shouldn't buy one of the above kits, just that it's not recommended to START with one.
I've got a soft-spot for the Exocet (tho I prefer the 38) and being a Level 2 kit, it would make a great next step from a beginner kit.
Buy the Exocet and build it while you're flying and gaining experience with the simpler stuff.

BTW, if you had bought a simple starter kit back when you first got replies to this thread, you'd be flying by now ;)
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:27 pm

Also after a little googling on The Launch Pad I found this page written by the President of The Launch Pad company, Chuck Barndt. I suspect this snippet will be of interest to you.

"Not for beginners"
I quite agree. This is Mid-Power rocketry and modelers should have some basic model rocket building and flying skills before attempting our products. I've steered prospective LP customers to Estes starter sets because they just weren't ready for larger projects. I personally won't sell to people who aren't ready.

Here's the link if you want to read the full article. I've not built a TLP kit myself but from reading this link it appears that they require a fair amount of general rocketry related build knowledge to successfully assemble and fly the kits.

http://archive.rocketreviews.com/images3/tlp_feedback.html
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:33 pm

If you are fairly capable at crafty stuff, check out the Sirius Rocketry kits. Not sure where the best place to source them is currently.

https://www.siriusrocketry.com/SiriusKits.htm

Nice kits if you want something that looks a bit out of the ordinary. Lots of decals to jazz it up too.

I have built a couple of theirs:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1529

They are not too difficult to build. Just follow the instructions and take your time. Lots of fiddly bits, but a great result.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:49 pm

Guys I think some of you are being a bit heavy handed.

RG66 if you really have your heart set on the "Launch Pad Flying Model Rocket Kits K014 Rapier SAM" kit then get it.
http://r.ebay.com/vtzkXv
Looks like a nice rocket, however when I read the add it does say
"YOU WILL ALSO NEED (SOLD SEPARATELY)
Launch pad and Controller Set
Recovery Wadding
Engines"

So not sure what is with the name, you will have to order these as well.

Yes it is an advanced build for a first timer, so if you really want to do this first then take the time to find out about build techniques, particularly adhesives and fin attachment. This is where you are most likely to come unstuck - literally :wink:
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:09 pm

Rocket Girl 66
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Rocket Girl 66 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:14 am

Hi, Thanks for one of you guys having some faith in me about the kit I want, and me knowing my limitations.

I have had a lot of experience in craft and my father is a mechanic, and Gradpa was an engineer and have been around building all kinds of thing all my life, from cars, motorcycles and houses, plus I spent some time in woodworking, using lathes etc.
From what I have researched, this kit looks relatively easy to built, people are telling me to buy really basic kits that I believe would bore me to tears, and far too basic for me.
I hope I'm not coming across cocky, but I have built houses,etc, I'm sure I can build a rocket kit.

As for high power, I can see that that's another thing and would definitely need the experience in rocketry itself.
As for building one I don't see that it's that hard, sorry guys, but I now I could build one.
But its the experience that would be needed in rocktry that I would need in flying and understanding the electronics etc,
This I don't have and I understand that this will take time.

Don't want to come across disrespectful to those of you that are trying to get me to buy a real basic kit, I really do appreciate all your help and concern.

To SapceManMat:
Thanks for having some faith in me
When your saying, not sure what is with the name, not sure what you mean?
Do you mean your not sure if that's the name of the rocket kit?
I had a look at that kit again, don't you need to buy those accessories with any mid power kits?

To OverTheTop:
Thanks for that info:
I had a look at the Sirius kits, they look great!!! Thanks for that!!!!!! Awsome!
Some of those kits are really interesting.

Hope I haven't put anyone's nose out of joint, and have clarified what I am capable of building.
It's kind of like asking me to jump back on a 80cc motorcycle after riding 1100's.

Once again, thanks to everyone with all your help and advice, I do appreciate it! Truly I do.

I think it's just time for me to pick one and buy it!!!
If I screw it up, then I will say you were all right and I should have listened.
Once again thanks SpaceManMat for the faith.
I think I've clarified that I'm not a girly girl.

Thanks everyone
Sari

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:31 pm

I hasn't tealised that the launch pad was the company name so was a little confused as to why they were giving such a name to a kit that didn't actually include a launch pad. but that's just me being confused :roll:

The guys here are being cautious, with good reason I should add. It's one thing to understand engineering, but does not neccissarily follow that you can appreciate the stresses on a rocket at say 600km/h and 25Gs. I'm not sure exactly what the performance of your rocket is, but like I said adhesives and fins are your main concerns. As you have some engineering understanding, would recommend you look at using a rocket simulator such as Open Rocket. This wil give you an idea of what sort of punishment your rocket needs to endure during its flight.

All the best with the flight, happy to answer questions etc.

Return to “Self Introductions”