Nitrous bottles

Discussions on hybrid rocketry including rockets, motors and technologies.

Moderator: Moderators

Avachovy
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 728
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: Central coast, NSW
Contact:

Nitrous bottles

Postby Avachovy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:17 pm

I would just like to ask, what can and what cant be used for a nitrous bottle?

I was just offered today a unused 4.3m/cubed oxygen bottle. If i was to take this bottle to a racing shop, would they fill it with nitrous?

User avatar
6111_1
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:34 pm

Postby 6111_1 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:53 pm

pay cash :lol:

astroboy
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 1545
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: Pandemonium, 9th Circle of the Abyss

Postby astroboy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:08 pm

If the bottle is still in test its possible they will, you would have to check with them. Gas bottles need to be periodically hydrostatically tested every now and then but I'm not sure of the period. You would probably find they will need a fill adaptor to do it too as thier fill station will be for racing nox botttle fill valve.
Satans stooge.

Wombat Old
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 959
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: Back of nowhere, then turn left.

Postby Wombat Old » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:06 pm

It would probably help to respray the bottle the 'right' colour before you go.
What kind of person WRITES a maniacal laugh?

TRA#11586
L0 (so far)

rbsleepr
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:52 pm
Location: Melbourne

Postby rbsleepr » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:38 pm

Why not contact BOC and ask them - if there are safety issues, they will be the first to tell you.

Wombat Old
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 959
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: Back of nowhere, then turn left.

Postby Wombat Old » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:32 pm

How did you go with getting it re-filled?

(IIRC, the colour-code for N2O is blue body, red cap)
What kind of person WRITES a maniacal laugh?



TRA#11586

L0 (so far)

Avachovy
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 728
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:06 pm
Location: Central coast, NSW
Contact:

Postby Avachovy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:50 am

well since i am in Florida at the moment, i havnt been able to try to get it filled anywhere. But ill contact BOC and see what can be done

memberr
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:46 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Postby memberr » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:15 pm

Avachovy wrote:well since i am in Florida at the moment, i havnt been able to try to get it filled anywhere. But ill contact BOC and see what can be done


You gonna get to see any NASA rockets launch while your in Florida?

spacelaunch
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:07 am
Location: Queensland
Contact:

Re: Nitrous bottles

Postby spacelaunch » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:56 pm

Avachovy wrote:I would just like to ask, what can and what cant be used for a nitrous bottle?

I was just offered today a unused 4.3m/cubed oxygen bottle. If i was to take this bottle to a racing shop, would they fill it with nitrous?


I would assume they will try to sell you an "approved" bottle as a guess.
Space is only 100km straight up, see you there :)

Wombat Old
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 959
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: Back of nowhere, then turn left.

Postby Wombat Old » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:24 pm

Close. They will try to 'rent' you one.
What kind of person WRITES a maniacal laugh?



TRA#11586

L0 (so far)

krusty
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 1306
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:21 pm
Location: Noble Park, Vic, Australia
Contact:

Postby krusty » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:27 am

I just spoke with BOC and got the following info:

"Engine Boost Nitrous Oxide"
"D" 3.5QM $156 (inc) plus $11.30/month for bottle rental
"G" 18.7QM $670 (inc) plus $14.10/month for bottle rental
To order, you need to set up an account. To set up an account, you need to supply a provider number - this is the number given to qualified engineers and mechanics when they complete thier training.

There is also medical Nitrous Oxide, it's a few dollars more expensive, and you need to be a doctor to setup the account.

18.7QM of NO2. That would make for a nice loooong burn ;)

Oh! and the guy on the phone asked what I was needing it for and didn't blink when I said hybrid rocket motor.

Krusty.

skippy
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew
Posts: 462
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:46 pm
Location: Viewbank

Postby skippy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:31 pm

krusty wrote:[snip]

There is also medical Nitrous Oxide, it's a few dollars more expensive, and you need to be a doctor to setup the account. [snip]


<parent mode>

Medical N2O is a Schedule 4 drug (anaesthetic agent). Possession of S4 drugs without license is a criminal offence. Possession of a controlled S4 drug carries maximum penalties of $10,000 fine, 2 years prison, or both. (Controlled Substances Act 1984)

The reason you and I cannot buy medical grade N2O is because some idiot will try and breathe it. N2O needs to be administered in conjunction with a minimum of 30% O2 or it can cause brain damage from hypoxia. It is usually administered 50% N2O, 50% O2.

Seriously kids, I used to lecture nurses on anaesthesia and worked in operating rooms for 12 years. This can kill you.

The N2O you buy from BOC has added agents to make you vomit if you try and inhale it.

</parent mode>

krusty
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 1306
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:21 pm
Location: Noble Park, Vic, Australia
Contact:

Postby krusty » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:54 pm

skippy wrote:Medical N2O is a Schedule 4 drug (anaesthetic agent). Possession of S4 drugs without license is a criminal offence. Possession of a controlled S4 drug carries maximum penalties of $10,000 fine, 2 years prison, or both. (Controlled Substances Act 1984)


So, looks like the car stuff is the way to go :)

memberr
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:46 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Postby memberr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:11 pm

skippy wrote:
krusty wrote:[snip]

There is also medical Nitrous Oxide, it's a few dollars more expensive, and you need to be a doctor to setup the account. [snip]


<parent mode>

Medical N2O is a Schedule 4 drug (anaesthetic agent). Possession of S4 drugs without license is a criminal offence. Possession of a controlled S4 drug carries maximum penalties of $10,000 fine, 2 years prison, or both. (Controlled Substances Act 1984)

The reason you and I cannot buy medical grade N2O is because some idiot will try and breathe it. N2O needs to be administered in conjunction with a minimum of 30% O2 or it can cause brain damage from hypoxia. It is usually administered 50% N2O, 50% O2.

Seriously kids, I used to lecture nurses on anaesthesia and worked in operating rooms for 12 years. This can kill you.

The N2O you buy from BOC has added agents to make you vomit if you try and inhale it.

</parent mode>


I don't at all doubt what you say on the legality of pure N2O, but it makes me wonder how them canisters for whipped cream are allowed on the market.

I believe the automotive stuff has Sulfur Dioxide added to make it taste funky :)

Wombat Old
Engineer
Engineer
Posts: 959
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: Back of nowhere, then turn left.

Postby Wombat Old » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:33 pm

Probably because of the size and the fact that it isn't openly marketed AS N20.
What kind of person WRITES a maniacal laugh?



TRA#11586

L0 (so far)


Return to “Hybrid - Crossbreeding Rocketry”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests